Monday 19 September 2011

Dreaming of 'La Dolce Vita'

Buona Sera Amici!

Firstly, I would like to say a heartfelt ''mille grazie'' to all of you who have supported Sicilian Connections in our first week online. It was a big (& rather nerve-wrecking!) step for me to publish everything that I have been working on over the past months and it truly means a lot to me that so many people have got involved.

As a thank you for sharing your personal thoughts, stories and photos with us, I would like to write about a place that is very special to me - it is actually my favourite place on the island of Sicily. For me, it is the most magical place in the world and when I am here I feel completely removed from the worries of day to day life. Piazza IX Aprile in the hilltop town of Taormina, in the province of Messina, boasts the most breathtaking panorama that I have ever seen.



I just love to sit at a table at the Wunderbar Café with a glass of prosecco or a 'granita di mandorla' and look out across the baia and the seemingly infinite Ionian Sea. You can see the beach resort of Giardini Naxos from here and there is also a wonderful view of Mount Etna.

There are often mandolin players in the piazza which provide the perfect accompaniment for watching the many boats drifting along in the water far below. I could sit for hours with the sun shining on my face listening to the romantic music of the mandolins. It is easy to comprehend what inspired great authors such as D.H. Lawrence and Goethe to spend time here whilst working on their literature. Indeed, there are often artists in the piazza looking to capture the enchantment and beauty of this location.  Another reason to visit Piazza IX Aprile is to see the charming church of San Giuseppe which looks out over the piazza and the beautiful Ionian Sea.

I'm sure that many of you have visited this wonderful destination and can understand why it holds such a special place in my heart. For those of you who have not yet visited Taormina, I hope that one day you will be able to experience its magic!



Please keep in touch and continue to share your wonderful stories and photographs.

A presto!

Debra
www.sicilianconnections.com


4 comments:

  1. I think this site is wonderful and the more people who view it, the more chances we have of breaking the stereotype of who Siciliani are!

    You may also visit my blog at siciliabedda-bedda sicilia.blogspot.com

    congratulations and keep it up!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much :-) ..... and thank you for telling me about your blog. I have already taken a look and I think that your photos are truly beautiful and give such an insightful look into life in Sicily!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Taormina Debra, it is such a beautiful place. My visit was short as I was on a cruise but I hope to return, the lovely photographs make me hope it will be soon.
    There was a wedding taking place at the church of San Giuseppe - it was a truly romantic day!

    Best wishes in your new venture.

    Arrivederci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grazie Sabrina :-) Taormina is absolutely beautiful and I hope that you will be able to return again soon.

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete